This salad is perfect in summer as a lovely lunch to be mopped up with crusty bread and good quality olive oil or as a starter with mouth blowing Mediterranean flavours. It can be served warm or cold if your’re pre-prepping and is really quick and easy to throw together especially if you have a large griddle pan. The courgettes can also be cooked under the grill but they won’t have the lovely smokey ridge marks from the pan, which goes so well sweetened by the honey and crunch of the pistachios.
Prep 10 minutes | Cook 15 mins | Serves 4 as a light lunch or starter
4 tbsp olive oil
150g cream cheese
½ lemon, zest and juice of
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
½ lemon, juice of
2 tsp sumac
1 tsp za'atar
Handful of fresh oregano
50g toasted pIstachios, roughly chopped
1. Place a griddle pan on a high heat to get really hot.
2. Slice the courgettes lengthways into 3mm strips, discarding the two end strips of skin. Toss the slices in the olive oil and when the pan is almost smoking hot, arrange the slices on the griddle pan. Grill in batches, leaving to char for a few minutes before flipping over and charring the other side. Carefully transfer to a plate to cool while you prepare the rest.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese in a bowl so it softens before adding the ricotta. Mix again for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth and fluffy, with no grains or lumps. Stir through the lemon juice, zest and seasoning of salt and pepper.
4. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice and honey together.
5. Arrange the courgette slices on 4 plates and dollop lumps of the whipped ricotta. Finely chop up the fresh oregano and scatter over with the pistachios and finish with a the dressing and an extra drizzle of honey.