225g soft dark brown sugar
70g black treacle
75g golden syrup
300g plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 ½ tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Salted Caramel Sauce: 75g unsalted butter
50g soft light brown sugar
50g caster sugar
50ml double cream
1tsp Maldon sea salt
1. Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan. Grease a 30x20cm tin and line with baking parchment.
2. Put the butter, sugar, treacle and syrup in a saucepan and melt over a low to medium heat. Remove from the heat, stir in the milk and leave to cool slightly.
3. Sift the flours, salt, spices and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs beating them with a wooden spoon to combine, drawing the flours from around the side.
4. As it thickens, gradually add the butter and sugar mix, beating well between each addition.
5. Peel and core the apples. Dice one apple into small cubes and gently fold into the mix. Slice the other apple into thin slices.
6. Pour the mix into the prepared cake tin and arrange the apple slices on top. Bake in the middle of the oven for around 1 hour, checking after 45minutes with a skewer test to come out clean.
7. For the sauce, place the butter and sugars in a sauce pan to melt, stirring occasionally until just dissolved. Bring to a simmer for a few minutes as the mixture comes together and thickens.
8. Take off the heat and add the cream and salt, gently stirring to combine. Slice the cake and serve with the warm caramel sauce.