Serves 4 as a light salad or 2 as a main
1 small loaf of stale bread
3 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
4 large tomatoes, heritage or mixed, roughly sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1 small cucumber, sliced into half moons
1 can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp capers, drained
Handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
Handful of parsley leaves, roughly chopped
For the Dressing:
6 anchovy fillets
1 garlic clove
150ml olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ lemon, juice and zest
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 4.
2. Tear the inside of the bread and rip into small chunks. Spread out on a baking tray with the sliced garlic and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss all together to evenly coat.
3. Place in the oven for 15 minutes to crisp and dry out. Set aside to cool.
4. For the dressing, blitz all the ingredients in the small bowl of a food processor to break up the anchovies and garlic until smooth.
5. Slice the tomatoes, onions and herbs and place in a large mixing bowl. Roughly chop the capers and add to the bowl, along with the drained beans. Mix all together and season with a little salt and pepper, (remember the dressing will taste salty from the anchovies).
6. When ready to serve, add the mixed herbs and dried bread. Toss altogether and serve with the anchovy dressing.