This recipe uses Mediterranean flavours to come together in a sophisticated desert, complete with an easy no-churn ice cream recipe and crunchy sesame brittle for extra texture. This is a great dinner party go-to which seems like it has a lot of components but each is really simple and perfect to prepare in advance.
300ml double cream
2 tsp caster sugar
50g unsalted butter, room temp
200g dark chocolate (70%)
50ml whole milk
Sea salt flakes
1 orange, zested
50g dark chocolate
50g unsalted butter, melted
Tahini Halva Ice Cream:
4 tbsp tahini
600ml double cream
1 can condensed milk
100g halva, cut into small chunks
50g black sesame seeds
50g white sesame seeds
80g caster sugar
1. Prepare the ice cream the day before so it has time to set. Whisk the double cream, condensed milk and tahini using an electric beater or free standing whisk, until it thickens to a clotted cream consistency. Stir in the chunks of halva and pour into a container to freeze until solid.
2. In a food processor, blitz the digestive biscuits and chocolate to fine breadcrumbs then stir in the melted butter. Press the mix into a 20cm tart tin and leave in the fridge to set while you make the filling.
3. Heat the cream and sugar in a pan until almost boiling and take off the heat. Add in the orange zest, butter and chocolate, cover with a lid and leave to melt in for a few minutes. Remove the lid and stir through to combine, then stir through the milk.
4. Pour into the tart tin and leave to set for at least 2 hours or until firm enough to cut through before serving.
5. Prepare a baking sheet lined with sil-pat or greaseproof paper. For the sesame brittle, toast the seeds in a pan until fragrant and starting to golden, then scatter over the sugar and melt over a low heat. Without stirring, tip the pan around carefully to brown the sugar evenly. When it turns a caramel gold colour, pour onto the lined baking tray, smooth into a thin layer and leave to firm up in the fridge. When the brittle has turned solid, snap into shards.
Slice the tart to serve with a spoon of ice cream and shard