2 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp fenugreek seeds
4 beetroot, peeled and chopped
150g Mushroom, sliced
3 Carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground cardamom
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2cm fresh ginger, finely grated
2-3 red or green chillies, finely diced
1x 400ml can coconut milk
100g roasted chestnuts
1. In a small frying pan, dry toast the seeds for a few minutes until fragrant. Set aside.
2. In a deep heavy based sauce pan, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil and add the vegetables with a good pinch of salt. Cook through to lightly caramelise and soften slightly, about 10 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger, chilli and dried spices stirring through to coat the vegetables.
3. Pour in the coconut milk, bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes as the vegetables cook through until tender. Top up with a little water or vegetable stock if it seems a little dry.
4. When the vegetables are softened but still have a little bite, add the chestnuts and curly kale to wilt.
5. Serve with a squeeze of lime and extra chilli on top, along with coconut yoghurt and jasmine rice.