Coconut & Peanut Vegetable Curry
Cooking Time 40 minutes | Serves 4 | Vegan & GF
2 Aubergines, chopped into chunks
2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 cloved garlic, grated
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
200g mushrooms, sliced
1 red onion, diced
2 red or green chillies, finely chopped
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
2x 400ml cans coconut milk
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp peanut butter
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Fresh coriander, roughly chopped to garnish
Chopped peanuts, to serve
Coconut yogurt, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Chop the aubergines and spread on a baking tray, tossed with a drizzle of vegetable oil and seasoning of salt. Roast for 20-30 minutes until softened.
2. On a low heat, add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and ginger. Fry for 2 minutes until fragrant.
3. Scoop out the thick coconut cream from the top of the can and add to the pan with the peanut butter, tamarind, chopped chilli, garlic and dried spices, stirring through as a thick and fragrant paste forms.
4. Add the onions, mushrooms and chickpeas and cook through for 5 minutes, as the vegetables begin to soften. Slowly add in the rest of the coconut milk, incorporating into the paste and bringing it to a simmer.
5. Finally add the aubergines and heat through for a further 10 minutes until all the veggies are soft and tender and the sauce is thick and creamy. Add a little more water or coconut milk if you prefer a thinner consistency.
6. Serve with warm naan bread, coconut rice and a dollop of yoghurt. Sprinkle fresh coriander, chopped peanuts and extra chilli to serve.